As a consumer in Georgia, you have the legal right to truthful information about products and services you purchase or wish to purchase. When we make a purchase, we need to be able to trust the merchant is being truthful. But, when a business sells you something fraudulently, they need to be held accountable. Consumer Fraud is often related to false promises or inaccurate claims made to consumers, as well as business practices that directly cheat consumers out of their money.
What is Consumer Fraud?
It is a practice designed to deceive consumers into purchasing a product or service.
Under the Georgia Fraud Statute [O.C.G.A § 51-6-2], fraud is defined as a willful misrepresentation of a material fact that is made to induce another to act, upon which such person acts to his injury.
Keep in mind that knowledge of the falsehood is an essential element of this tort.
But, a fraudulent or reckless representation of facts as true when they are not, is the same as knowledge of their falsehood.
Examples of Consumer Fraud
- Shop at home and catalog sales
- Foreign money and counterfeit check scams
- Banks, lenders, and mortgage fees
- Business opportunities and work from home
- Advance fee loans and credit protection repair
- Travel, Vacation, and Timeshare Plans
- Credit Card Fraud
- Life insurance plans
- Car Dealership Fraud
- Car Repair Fraud
- Telephone and computer services
What are the signs of consumer fraud?
- Unreliable and misleading information;
- False or misleading promises;
- Unethical, deceitful, or aggressive sales tactics;
- Promises that cannot be kept;
- Unsatisfactory products or services;
- Lies or misrepresentations made to consumers;
- Unusually high prices charged for services;
- Unlicensed, unregistered, unsanctioned or unapproved products or services;
- Illegal activity (unauthorized use, false advertising, tax evasion, unauthorized use of trade secrets, etc.);
- Illegal or abusive business practices.
How does Diwan Law help people who have been a victim of consumer fraud?
For Individuals, Diwan Law is a firm uniquely positioned to help clients at all stages of the consumer fraud investigation, litigation, and resolution process.
We focus our attention on those who have been defrauded, their families, and loved ones. We encourage consumers to contact us immediately and seek legal recourse to help them restore their financial health.
If you believe that you have been a victim of consumer fraud, it is essential to hire a Consumer Fraud Lawyer who can handle your case from beginning to end.
If you have experienced any of the following, then you may have a consumer fraud claim:
- Being lied to about the condition of a car or any other item before purchasing it;
- Improperly billed for a product or service;
- A merchant offering one product but deliver another [“bait and switch”];
- Being sold an item as new, and later learned that this item was actually used;
- Being lied to about the source of a product;
- Being lied to about the certifications of a service provider;
- A merchant offering a defective product;
- Being lied to about the uses of a product.
Diwan Law is a consumer protection law firm with a reputation for excellence in handling fraud cases, both large and small. Contact the Georgia consumer attorneys of Diwan Law today at 404-635-6883 schedule your initial consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.