Portfolio Recovery Associates, Debt Collection
What is Portfolio Recovery Associates?
Portfolio Recovery Associates also know as PRA Portfolio Recovery or PRA is one of the largest debt collection companies in the world.
This collection agency specializes in buying old debt from companies and trying to collect on it. With most cases involving charged-off debt, they can buy it for extremely cheap.
Is Portfolio Recovery Associates a Scam?
Portfolio Recovery is a real collection agency.
Like other debt collectors, Portfolio Recovery often goes straight into litigation without first informing you that they are attempting to collect a debt. This is in an attempt to get you to pay your debt faster or face the repercussions.
Are you being sued by Portfolio Recovery?
If you are served with a summons from PRA, you need to respond quickly.
If you fail to respond to the lawsuit, Portfolio Recovery may be able to obtain a default judgment against you.
Armed with the default judgment, the debt collection company can garnish your wages and bank accounts.
Before accepting a PRA judgment, speak with a debt defense attorney. A collections defense lawyer will explain your rights and the legal process, such as how long you have to answer the lawsuit, the proven defenses, and the impact of a judgment.
Are you being harassed by Portfolio Recovery?
Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act [FDCPA], debt collection companies such as Portfolio Recovery Associates cannot take the following actions when attempting to collect a debt:
- Contact anybody who is not the main person that owes the debt;
- Threaten to refer to a lawyer, harm of credit, or wage or bank garnishment without the actual intent to act on the threat
- Contacting you at “unreasonable times,” such as before 8:00 AM or after 9:00 PM;
- Contacting your employer;
- Use profane or obscene language during calls;
- Sending collection letters that appear to be from a court or government agency;
- Threaten to arrest you if you do not pay the debt
Contact Diwan Law
We are experienced in debt collection law and have an established record of protecting consumer’s rights. No matter where you are in the collection process, you deserve to know your rights and what to expect. Give us a call at 404.635.6883.